Trivial? Long Chats and Food Choices.



My mom calls me one or twice every week and we would chat for, well, at least half an hour, and sometimes one hour. My dad does not understand why we have so much to say to each other. As far as he sees, what we does is waste of both time and money. “International calls are expensive,” he argues. Of course, he also thinks my mom asks a lot of nonsense questions. “Why do you want to know what she eats every day?” Well these are not his exact words but you can get a peek into his philosophy this way. My dad thinks there are much more greater things in life to do, to ask, and to know, and my mom could make a much better use of her retired time rather than attending to my trivia life details, especially thousand miles away, across two continents.

“He is just being jealous,” that’s what I told my mom two days ago when she called. My mom gave a good laugh about it, and I could hear she did not actually understand what I meant. “I mean it, he is jealous. Chatting requires skills, and we are talking about those that would go on for hours.” Again, my mom thought “skills” should not be used here. After all, “skill” is a serious term. We need certain skills to survive, like hunting in the old times and using computers in current days. “Seriously, mom, not everyone can do long chats. If you were able to chat with people for hours, even just with your own daughter, it means something. Think about it, at least it shows that you know the language and the subject well.” To convince my mom, I even used myself as an example. “I wouldn’t be able to chat with my American friends if I couldn’t speak English right? And, if I couldn’t speak it well enough, our chats would never be long, either. Also I need to have enough knowledge about certain subjects and my friends in order to chat with them. Don’t you think so? I just want to tell you all the rules apply to us too.” My mom was finally satisfied, and then she said with cheer, “alright it does make sense. You make me feel much better now.”

I guess I couldn’t say with real confidence that I’ve been very patient with my mom’s endless list of questions the whole time. Sometimes I get impatient and give her perfunctory answers. But I do think long chats require certain skills, and well, maybe even something more than that. And my mom’s questions may seem trivia, but they are nevertheless important and meaningful, at least to our relationships. It really depends on the perspective we take.

Same rule applies to our food choices. Most people think they are trivia and even irrelevant to our lives most of the time. Why take time to think about them? Aren’t there better things to do with our time and money and energy? True, my mom does not have to know what I eat everyday, but it does make sense for her to know, to hear, and to care, especially from thousand of miles away. Very likely it is an essential questions to ask, for her being a mother and hold onto her motherhood in another continent different from where I am.

To some extent I trace my passion for food back to my mom’s way of feeding us, me and my brother. That may be the only clue I get. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment