Mocha Cake Roll & Grilled Tofu Rice Ball

When it comes to Japanese cuisine, most people think of sushi and sashimi. Not being a big fan of sushi(I think it has a lot to do with the fact I haven’t tried anything truly amazing yet), as of right now my love for Japanese food centers on all kinds of delicate desserts it harbors. One time I heard from a blogger that a Japanese supermarket in Boston has that yummy grilled rice cake/ball that I was dying to try, so I made my dear boyfriend drive two hours to get there. Then what happened? My heart sinked a bit as I finally located its existence in the fridge (I don’t have much faith in refridged food). It’s appearance was not so intriguing either. Anyway, that tiny box cost me almost six bucks and proved itself a waste of money. At the end I had to pretend it was not so bad after all so my boyfriend wouldn’t laugh at me.

This whole thing seems even more silly when I finally made the grilled rice ball myself today. At the first bite I was like, “why on earth didn’t I try this recipe earlier?” Both the rice ball and the sauce are delicious and fairly easy to make at home. I’ll post recipe later if any one gets interested.






Aside from the rice cake balls I also want to share with you the Mocha cake roll I made several weeks ago. I’ve made plenty of chiffon cakes since I started baking but not so many cake rolls. I don’t know why. So basically this is my second or third attempt trying to make cake rolls--also my first time making one with mocha. The texture stills has a lot of room for improvement but I did like the way it tasted--fresh with a little bit bitterness. 


Happy August Everyone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment