5 Step to Make Your Own Lard

I try to be health conscious whenever I could, but I also believe in using the “right" ingredient to make the “right” food. For example, lard is an irreplaceable ingredient when it comes to most Chinese pastries. I know some people are too fat-phobic to try lard, and believe me, I’ve been there. I tried to replace lard with grape seed oil and...it just didn’t work out. So the second time I made some lard and followed the same recipe--everything came out just perfect. As long as we eat moderately, we don’t have to be afraid of lard, or butter, or anything delicious.

Making lard is fairly simple. Although some stores carry this product, I still think it’s better to make my own lard. Have to admit, I am a bit obsessed with the idea of knowing how my food is made and what it’s made of.





First, go to a place where you can find good pork fat. Look into local store or farmers’ market.


Second, cut pork fat into small cubes. Don’t cut them too small--it’s too time-consuming and not worth the work; but not too big--otherwise they won’t be even-heated.

Third, put the cubes in a pot and add a cup of water--this keeps the fat cutes from browning too much and the beginning and helps to get them even heated.



Fourth, keep the heat at medium-low and stir occasionally until the cubes won’t give up any more fat.

The last step is to filter out the bits of meat--the cracklings--from the lard when it cools to lukewarm. Store your lard at room temperature or in fridge. Eat the cracklings in whatever way you like, they are be sprinkled on top of your salad like croutons!

0 comments:

Post a Comment