Homemade Tortilla

As much as I love tortilla chips, I’ve developed a liking for tortilla--somehow it tastes like paper. That also explains why it took me so long to make tortilla myself--I thought I didn’t like it. The other day I decided to make a simple carrot and turnip salad and I wanted to have some wraps to go with it, so here came my first batch of home-made tortillas--"oh I need to make them more often because they don’t taste like paper any more,” I thought to myself. These tortillas also made me feel funny about/doubt my food preferences, maybe the only reason I don’t like some foods was because I never got to meet their real identity. The fact that I don’t like them being cooked by some restaurants doesn’t mean I don’t like the foods themselves.


(This recipe yield 8 small tortillas)
Combine 120g corn masa flour with 200g water and mix until the dough comes together.


Divide the dough into eight equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.


Use a rolling pin to roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla (brush your working surface with a few drops of oil in case the dough gets sticky)


Place the dough into a really hot skillet and cook until golden (about 1min each side)


Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment